There are a lot of misconceptions about 'Deed Poll'

  1. You don't need to pay
  2. You don't need a solicitor
  3. You do need two witnesses
  4. Once you have a signed, witnessed Deed Poll get your National Insurance, Passport and Driving Licence changed.

It really si simple.

How to make your own deed poll

You’ll need 2 witnesses to sign your deed poll. They must be 18 or over.

Some organisations will not accept a deed poll if a witness lives at the same address or is a close relative.

Use the following wording. Replace the words in the square brackets with the relevant details.

Below is an example

Name change deed

[Your Legal Name]
[Post Code]

I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name].

Where applicable, I have informed the police that I have given up my name [old name] and have adopted the name [new name] and understand that a failure to do so is a criminal offence.

I also understand that when I apply for official documents in my new name, such as a British Passport, the relevant authorities may check the history and validity of my old name [old name] and new name [new name]. They may also check the information in any other supporting documents they have requested

Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of 

[witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address].

[your new signature], [your old signature]

[witness 1 signature], [witness 2 signature] 

The UK Gov Deed Poll guidelines

Enrol a deed poll with the courts

You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice if you’re 18 or over. It costs £42.44 and cheques should be made payable to HMCTS. This is not obligatory and in no way invalidates the simple witnessed Deed Poll. It just changes any public records of your Dead Name.

Enrol a deed poll with the courts